Saturday, October 28, 2006

Love and peace are STILL considered radical and unobtainable to many. As a former "60's Hippie" I often find this disconcerting. It certainly made sense to me back in the 60s and 70s how people would over react to these very positive qualities in a world that rejected them as "weak." But I would never have imagined how in today's gangsta culture how violence is trying to replace them as a "hip" way of being. My positive thinking and optimism, however, along with the knowledge that large numbers of people prefer harmony in their lives, keeps me focused on these qualities and the need to continue to develop them.
As a Wiccan, harmony and balance are important qualities to me. I am also a long time student of Eastern philosophy and many New Age concepts. As a result, I have been able to spend time developing them within myself. I have noticed that by doing so, I can create the world more to my liking which is of course more peaceful and loving.
An obvious challenge, however, is how to keep oneself focused this way when inevitably meeting with individuals who are strongly negative and even abusive, if only verbally. This has been my personal challenge now for many years.
If one goes off to the proverbial 'cave" isolated some how from others, and this can be done even in a very comfortable way...a lovely condo could become the "cave," one could keep out those negative others for an indefinite period of time. Inevitably though, many New Age philosophers tell us that any negativety confined within us with start to show up for us once again some how.
But few of us choose to live in such an isolated way and even those that do, find it to be a temporary thing. Most of us prefer to work in the greater mainstream society. So the challenge then is maintaining our positive, loving state of mind amongst those who don't value these things.
Many New Age thinkers tell us we get what we focus on. And further if we are self punishing, we will attract punishers..ergo those negative people that put us down for wanting to be balanced. I think there is much truth in that.
I have examined and watched this in myself. Though I truly want peace, harmony and balance, I find myself "beating up " myself with negative, self- critical thoughts. %

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home